NEW BISHOP RAYMOND BROWNE OF KERRY IN IRELAND

IND. CATH. NEWS REPORT
 
Ireland: New Bishop of Kerry named | Fr Raymond Browne, new Bishop of Kerry,Bishop Bill Murphy,Cardinal Seán Brady, President of the Irish Bishops' Conference

Fr Raymond Browne
Fr Raymond Browne has been appointed by Pope Francis as the new Bishop of Kerry. Father Browne, 56, is from Athlone. He was ordained a priest for Elphin Diocese in 1982, which covers parishes in counties Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath. He has worked as a canon lawyer, a school chaplain and in parish work. He has more recently been parish priest in Ballagh, Co Roscommon. He succeeds Bishop Bill Murphy, who is retiring.
Cardinal Seán Brady, President of the Irish Bishops' Conference said in a statement: "I wish to acknowledge the contribution that Bishop William Murphy has made to the work of the Bishops' Conference and to the Diocese of Kerry. Bishop Murphy has served the Bishops' Conference for 18 years and he has served his diocese as priest and bishop for 52 years.
I warmly acknowledge Bishop Murphy's work with the Bishops' Conference Council for Pastoral Renewal and Adult Faith Development and with the Bishops' Council for Catechetics which he Chaired with great vision.
I offer him my prayers and blessings and I wish him many years of good health and happiness in his retirement."
"I want to take this opportunity also to congratulate Father Raymond Browne, from Elphin Diocese, on his appointment by Pope Francis today as Bishop of Kerry.
I have known Father Browne for many years and I am quite confident that he will prove to be an excellent and gentle pastor, a faithful teacher of the faith and a trustworthy and generous leader. I wish him many blessings.
Father Browne will be well aware, I am sure, of the deep faith of the people of the diocese of Kerry and I have no doubt that he can count on their prayers and support as he takes on his new role as Bishop."
Fr Browne said: “I am deeply honoured that Pope Francis has chosen me to be your Bishop, “It is with great humility I present myself to you today. I am conscious of the great diocese this is.
“I am conscious of the way the faith has been lived in all the parishes, church areas, religious houses and communities, schools, and all the faith communities throughout the diocese by this and previous generations.”
Outgoing Bishop of Kerry Bill Murphy paid tribute to his successor, saying: “He brings to his new ministry a wide range of administrative skills and pastoral experience which he has acquired through the various ministries he has exercised up to now."
“I believe his appointment will greatly benefit the Church in the diocese of Kerry and will also contribute significantly to the work of the Irish Episcopal Conference and its commissions and agencies.”
SHARED FROM IND. CATH. NEWS

Comments