EUROPE : NEW ARCHBISHOP OF GLASGOW PAISLEY

CATHOLIC HERALD REPORT:
By David V Barrett
Archbishop Elect Tartaglia 5[1]
Bishop Philip Tartaglia of Paisley was named new Archbishop of Glasgow this week, succeeding Archbishop Mario Joseph Conti, who has been archbishop since 2002.
After the announcement was made by the Church in Scotland Archbishop-elect Tartaglia, 61, said: “I am conscious of the historic place of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in the history of Christianity in Scotland and of its importance for the Catholic community in particular. It is a great honour for me to be appointed archbishop of my native city and diocese.”
Bishop Tartaglia was born in Glasgow in 1951, one of nine children, and was ordained priest in 1975. He said he had been “very happy and fulfilled” as Bishop of Paisley where he has served since late 2005. “I have loved my diocese. The priests and people of the Diocese of Paisley will always be in my heart,” he said. “And I would want to serve the Archdiocese of Glasgow with the same affection and devotion.”
He continued: “I know I can only be a good bishop with help from above, so I ask everyone to pray for me.”
With 95 parishes, 203 priests and an estimated Catholic population of 200,000 the Archdiocese of Glasgow is the largest of Scotland’s eight
dioceses.
Archbishop-elect Tartaglia will be the eighth man to hold the office of archbishop since the restoration of the Catholic hierarchy in Scotland in 1878.
His predecessor, Archbishop Mario Conti, who Pope Benedict asked to stay on for three years past his 75th birthday, said: “I am delighted that the Holy Father has appointed Bishop Philip as my successor. I have known him for more than 30 years and I have the greatest admiration for his gifts of leadership, intelligence, pastoral sensitivity and holiness. The archdiocese will be in very good hands.”
SHARED FROM CATHOLIC HERALD

Comments