AMERICA: CANADA: HAMILTON: PRIEST'S JOURNEY- VOCATION STORY- FR BULBROOK

SPECIAL TO JESUSCARITASEST.ORG: My name is Father Bob Bulbrook and I believe my vocation story begins before I was born on Sept. 03, 1946. In my fifth month of gestation my mother's appendix burst. She remembers being in an operating theater with many doctors and nurses looking on. Of course, in those days the policy was to try to save both mother and child. So, they moved me over somehow, removed the appendix, and cleaned up the peretonitis. Four months later I made my "second" appearance, at the maternity hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
I truly believe I was saved by the Grace of God, the prayers of our Blessed Mother and the hands of our good family doctor.
Later, as I grew up, I came to realize that because of various conditions my mother was told she would have no children and would be dead by 29. She had me at 29, I was followed by three brothers, and she died at 58, doubling her predicted age. "Man proposes, God disposes."
Because my dad was not fond of the Catholic Church my mother had the children baptized quietly. I was baptized at the Cathedral of Christ the King where I was later ordained and later stationed for two years.
My first experience of Church was at a Baptist Sunday School. Long Story! When the minister jumped off the platform to help an elderly woman who fainted I wanted to be like him. It happened in a flash. I was eight years old.
Eventually my mother told me I was Baptized and I learned about my Catholic roots. In grade four at Parkdale Public School the little girl who sat beside me convinced me to go to catechism. The priests of our parish were very kind to me and my experience of the minister transferred to them.
Two special incidences affected me profoundly. Never underestimate the prayer power of grandparents. When I was around seven or eight my grandmother gave me a pair of jeans for Christmas. Inside the pocket was a blue rosary. It fascinated me. Later she gave me a prayer book which was my childhood companion.
My grandmother died in June of my tenth year. My uncle gave me a dollar to have a Mass said. When I went to the rectory with my friend from school the curate gave us each a plastic crucifix, a coloring book, and a story book (and the Mass Card). That associate pastor later became a bishop. I make it a practice to give the children crucifixes, rosaries etc. One never knows what actual grace may accompany them.
I received First Communion at ten and was confirmed later the same year. I convinced my dad to let me go to a Catholic High School (Bishop Ryan) and from there to Resurrection College in Kitchener for philosophy. I went to St. Peter's Seminary in London, Ontario for theology. I was ordained to the priesthood on May 13, 1972 with six companions. (May 13 is the anniversary of the First appearance of Our Lady at Fatima). In 2012 my class will celebrate 40 years of priesthood!
For my 25th Anniversary I went to Rome after a wonderful parish celebration. I particularly wanted to say Mass at the Church of St. Alphonsus in front of the original icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I attended her devotions regularly and through High School and I credit her with the graces that got me through.
When I was ordained I chose Joshua 1:9 as a guide for my life, "Be strong and stand firm for go where you will, the Lord your God is with you." But from childhood I have always loved Ps. 109, "Your Word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet and a guide for my path." As the years passed I have come to understand more and more Mary's "Fiat" and the words of Our Father,"Fiat voluntas tua", "Thy will be done," as the key to holiness.
Finally, to try to write about almost forty years of priesthood would be a book. Suffice is to say it has been an adventure and the adventure goes on. How could it be otherwise if one is following the Lord Jesus Christ. More and more I come to realize what I have known from childhood, Jesus is my best friend.
Amidst all the whirlwind changes that have marked the modern world there are some very real constants such as chapter one of the old Baltimore Catechism, "Why am I here?". The Mission statement: "to know, love and serve God in this life and to be happy forever with Him in the next!" Some realities never change, "Jesus, the same yesterday, today and forever." May the prayers of Our Lady and St. Joseph be yours . May God Bless you always.
Fr. Bob Bulbrook, Pastor
St. Joseph, Patron of Canada,
Acton, Ontario, Canada
+If you are a religious Please send jesuscaritasest@gmail.com your vocation story to encourage others to join the religious life+

Comments

Ron Shields said…
A remarkable journey. I have missed your counsel over the years since we parted.
I had a wonderful friend in Canada Bob Bulbrook but lost touch when I moved to Britain. Are you still around? Carol Leslie